Straddle Truck Training Courses
Straddle Truck Training
The straddle truck training course contains theory work in a classroom and practical using the straddle truck. The classroom work consists of learning about Health and Safety legislation. Also, the theory of using a straddle truck and the operator’s safety code. The practical work builds so that trainees gain knowledge and experience gradually. Adequate time to practice is important, before moving onto the next stage. This training culminates with 3 stages of testing:
- A theory test – consisting of 25 questions
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test involving various manoeuvres completed in a safe manner
The Straddle Truck
A straddle truck or straddle forklift truck is influenced by powered pallet trucks and the counterbalance forklift. They are very manoeuvrable so ideal for narrow aisles but with the added ability of being able to lift pallets into and out of racking systems. They have low ground clearance and small wheels so they are generally found inside a warehouse. Their rated capacity is usually around 1 - 1.5 tonnes.
They are powered by electricity with batteries; some require a charger whilst others can just be plugged into a 13amp socket and charged from there.
ITSSAR ACCREDITED FORKLIFT LICENCES
Straddle Forklift Course Specifications
Independent Training Standards Scheme & Register (ITSSAR)
3 : 1 : 1 (3 operators, 1 instructor, 1 machine)
Novice - 1 operator = 2 days, 2 operators = 2 days, 3 operators = 2 days
Experienced - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Safety Refresher - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Conversion - contact us
FORKLIFT TRAINING AT YOUR COMPANY SITE LOCATION
On-site Straddle Truck Courses
All of our straddle truck courses are carried out on our customer’s premises. This gives our students the advantage of being trained and tested on a machine that is known to them. And, after successful completion of forklift training, operators will know how to use these machines safely and efficiently.
You will need sufficient space for candidates and an instructor to carry out theory lessons. For practical work you’ll need a straddle truck. Also, you will need ample space to carry out training, assessments and testing.
All operators will need safety shoes/boots plus any other personal protective equipment as per the company’s internal risk assessments.
After successful completion of our straddle truck training operator's will receive:
- A4 ITSSAR approved certificate of basic training
- Plastic photo identification card
An operator will then have their details entered or edited on ITSSAR’s TOPS (Trained Operator Passport Scheme) database.
Straddle Truck Course Breakdown
The following list is the elements that make up a novice straddle truck training course. For experienced operators, safety refresher and conversion courses the list would be shorter.
- Course induction
- The need and reasons to training and statutory requirements (HASAWA 1974 etc.)
- Introduction to equipment/control familiarisation/ principles of operation
- Identification/use/adjustment of attachments in pre-determined positions including forks
- Recommended mount and dismount
- Introduction to motive, steering controls and practice
- Basic steering exercises – simple courses
- Advanced steering exercises – figure of 8/chicane/90° approaches
- Battery charging procedures/maintenance
- Operator safety code and relevant handout
- Daily pre-use inspections
- Engineering principles/rated capacity/stability
- Simple hydraulics (theory)
- Introduction to hydraulic controls, handling empty pallets low level
- Load types/handling and weight assessment
- Stacking/de-stacking at low; eye and high level on industrial racking*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level bulk stacks*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level cup post pallets*
- Manoeuvring with loads/ramps and inclines/handling awkward loads*
- Relevant safety film
- Vehicle loading and unloading (theory)*
- Vehicle loading and unloading (practical)*
- Multi choice theory test
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test
* To be covered where relevant to operation or facilities permit
Levels of Training
Our instruction and examination comes in 4 basic levels. Getting the correct level isn't an exact science and so we like to discuss the experience of candidates individually to ensure there aren't any surprises.
This lift truck course is for operators who have little or no experience. The objective is to equip students with the confidence, knowledge and skills to safely and efficiently operate a straddle truck in the workplace.
For operators who are competent and experienced on a straddle truck. But, either has not received any kind of approved training or doesn't have or able to prove previous straddle truck certification.
This is for users who have already undergone and passed a straddle truck operators course. And, they can produce an accredited certificate. Appropriate where operators have not used trucks for some time or are occasional users. Also, if they have developed unsafe working practices, had an accident or near miss, or changed their working practices.
For training on a similar lift truck to one that an operator has already been successfully trained, tested and certified on. Any relevant certificate must from a recognised accrediting body.
* Certification must be provided before commencement of any training
FORKLIFT COURSES FROM A COMPANY THAT CARES
At the end of each course we ask our trainees to complete a short feedback form. Amongst other questions, we ask them "what did you like the most about this training?" Here are a small sample of the replies:
Was fun and the examples were very easy to understand.
Had a lot more information, learned a lot more than from other instructors.
The instructor was very easy to understand.
Health & Safety Executive's Approved Code of Practice - Rider-Operated Lift Trucks
Obligation to provide basic training - Employers should not allow anyone to operate, even on a very occasional basis a lift truck until they have satisfactorily completed basic training and testing