The Straddle Truck
A straddle truck or straddle forklift truck is influenced by powered pallet trucks and the counterbalance forklift. They are very manoeuvrable so ideal for narrow aisles but with the added ability of being able to lift pallets into and out of racking systems. They have low ground clearance and small wheels so they are generally found inside a warehouse. Their rated capacity is usually around 1 - 1.5 tonnes.
They are powered by electricity with batteries; some require a charger whilst others can just be plugged into a 13amp socket and charged from there.
Straddle Truck Training Courses
This forklift training course contains theory work in a classroom and practical using the straddle truck. The classroom work consists of learning about Health and Safety legislation. Also, the theory of using a straddle truck and the operator’s safety code. The practical work builds so that trainees gain knowledge and experience gradually. Adequate time to practice is important, before moving onto the next stage. This training culminates with 3 stages of testing:
- A theory test – consisting of 25 questions
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test involving various manoeuvres completed in a safe manner.
Straddle Truck (Pedestrian)
Independent Training Standards Scheme & Register (ITSSAR)
3 : 1 : 1 (3 operators, 1 instructor, 1 machine)
Novice - 1 operator = 2 days, 2 operators = 2 days, 3 operators = 3 days
Experienced - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Safety Refresher - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Conversion - contact us
- Course induction
- The need and reasons to training and statutory requirements (HASAWA 1974 etc.)
- Introduction to equipment/control familiarisation/ principles of operation
- Identification/use/adjustment of attachments in pre-determined positions including forks
- Recommended mount and dismount
- Introduction to motive, steering controls and practice
- Basic steering exercises – simple courses
- Advanced steering exercises – figure of 8/chicane/90° approaches
- Battery charging procedures/maintenance
- Operator safety code and relevant handout
- Daily pre-use inspections
- Engineering principles/rated capacity/stability
- Simple hydraulics (theory)
- Introduction to hydraulic controls, handling empty pallets low level
- Load types/handling and weight assessment
- Stacking/de-stacking at low; eye and high level on industrial racking*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level bulk stacks*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level cup post pallets*
- Manoeuvring with loads/ramps and inclines/handling awkward loads*
- Relevant safety film
- Vehicle loading and unloading (theory)*
- Vehicle loading and unloading (practical)*
- Multi choice theory test
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test
* To be covered where relevant to operation or facilities permit
Levels of Training
Novice Operator Training
This course is for operators who have little or no experience. The objective is to equip students with the confidence, knowledge and skills to safely and efficiently operate a straddle truck.
Experienced Operator Training
For operators who are competent and experienced on a straddle truck. But, either have not received any kind of approved training, do not hold a certificate, or their certificate is over 5 years old.
Safety Refresher Training*
This is for operators who have a certificate that is under 5 years old. Also, appropriate where operators; have not used trucks for some time, are occasional users, have developed unsafe working practices, had an accident or near miss, or changed their working practices/environment.
For training on a similar truck to one that an operator has already been successfully trained, tested and certified on. Any relevant certificate must be under 5 years old.
* Certification must be provided before commencement of any training
You will need sufficient space for candidates and an instructor to carry out theory lessons. For practical work you’ll need a straddle truck. Also, you will need ample space to carry out training, assessments and testing.
All operators will need safety shoes/boots plus any other PPE as per the company’s internal risk assessments.
All training courses are carried out on our customer’s premises. This gives our students the advantage of being trained and tested on a machine that is known to them. And after successful completion of training, operators will know how to use these machines safely and efficiently.
On completion of our training courses operator's will receive:
- Course hand out
- A4 ITSSAR accredited certificate
- Plastic photo identification card
An operator will then have their details entered or edited on ITSSAR’s TOPS (Trained Operator Passport Scheme) database.