Straddle Truck Training
Straddle truck training
Become fully licensed to operate
All our straddle truck training courses contain theory lessons in a classroom and practical work using the straddle forklift truck. These courses follow the Health and Safety commission's Approved Code of Practice and guidance. Meaning you, as an employer, meet your legal obligations to make sure all straddle truck operators receive adequate training.
At South Coast Forklift Training, we understand that everyone prefers a different learning style. Therefore, our courses use a variety of techniques to suit all learners. We use forklift models, videos, powerpoints, worksheets and handouts to keep everyone interested. Each lesson is then finished with some questions to ensure all information is understood.
The theory work builds gradually allowing time to absorb the information, before moving to the next stage. Practical lessons are demonstrated, then trainees are given adequate time to practise under close supervision.
Each course culminates with three stages of testing:
- A theory test – consisting of 25 questions
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test involving various manoeuvres completed in a safe manner
The straddle truck
They have great manoeuvrability with precise handling, making them an ideal choice for narrow aisles. With their staddle legs, they can lift Standard British Pallets into and out of racking systems. With low ground clearance and small wheels, they are suited to work inside a warehouse.
Straddle trucks come in a variety of sizes. The largest can lift to over 5 metres, and the most powerful can lift more than 1.5 tonnes.
Powered by electricity with batteries; some require a separate charger cabinet while others can just be plugged into a 13amp socket and charged from there.
STRADDLE TRUCK TRAINING FROM A COMPANY THAT CARES
Straddle Truck Course Specifications
Independent Training Standards Scheme & Register (ITSSAR)
3 : 1 : 1 (3 operators, 1 instructor, 1 machine)
Novice - 1 operator = 2 days, 2 operators = 2 days, 3 operators = 2 days
Experienced - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Safety Refresher - 1 operator = 1 day, 2 operators = 1 day, 3 operators = 1 day
Conversion - contact us
COURSES DESIGNED TO DELIVER RESULTS
Straddle Truck Course Breakdown
The following list is the elements that make up a novice straddle truck course. For experienced operators, safety refresher and conversion courses the list would be shorter.
- Course induction
- The need and reasons to training and statutory requirements (HASAWA 1974 etc.)
- Introduction to equipment/control familiarisation/ principles of operation
- Identification/use/adjustment of attachments in pre-determined positions including forks
- Recommended mount and dismount
- Introduction to motive, steering controls and practice
- Basic steering exercises – simple courses
- Advanced steering exercises – figure of 8/chicane/90° approaches
- Battery charging procedures/maintenance
- Operator safety code and relevant handout
- Daily pre-use inspections
- Engineering principles/rated capacity/stability
- Simple hydraulics (theory)
- Introduction to hydraulic controls, handling empty pallets low level
- Load types/handling and weight assessment
- Stacking/de-stacking at low; eye and high level on industrial racking*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level bulk stacks*
- Stacking/destacking at low; eye and high level cup post pallets*
- Manoeuvring with loads/ramps and inclines/handling awkward loads*
- Relevant safety film
- Vehicle loading and unloading (theory)*
- Vehicle loading and unloading (practical)*
- Multi choice theory test
- Pre-use inspection test
- Practical skills test
* To be covered where relevant to operation or facilities permit
WHATEVER YOUR LEVEL WE HAVE YOU COVERED
Accredited straddle truck training
All courses are ITSSAR accredited and therefore recognised throughtout your industry.
Novice straddle truck training
For trainees with little or no previous experience operating a straddle truck.
Experienced straddle truck training
Where candidates have relevant, recent experience but, have not received any kind of approved training.
Straddle truck refresher training
Periodic refresher training is for experienced operators who hold an accredited certificate.
Straddle truck conversion training
Where operators already hold a straddle truck certificate and wish to qualify on a similar machine.
Delivering the best for your buisiness
Our courses are designed to achieve results
On-site straddle truck courses
Every straddle truck course we deliver is carried out on our customer’s premises. This gives trainees the advantage of being trained and tested on a machine that is already known to them. Therefore, eliminating the need for them to re-learn on another truck after initial training. On successful completion of this straddle truck course, operators will know how to use these machines safely and efficiently.
We are happy to offer bespoke training programmes to meet your individual business’ requirements. We will always work around your needs and environment, to cause minimal disruption.
Firstly, and most importantly we need the use of your straddle truck. Also, an area where we will not be disturbed, with ample space to carry out basic manoeuvres and testing. Pallets and realistic loads appropriate to your business are useful - the instructor will bring a selection of traffic cones. For the theory lessons, we need sufficient space for the instructor and the trainees to work. A small office with a table, chairs and power will suffice.
All truck operators are required to wear safety boots and any other personal protective equipment as per the company's internal risk assessments. We supply hi-visibility vests.
If unsure about any of the above, contact us to discuss.
Straddle truck licence certificates
On completion of this straddle truck training, drivers are fully licensed to operate this category of truck. The qualification is nationally recognised and accepted throughout the industry.
You will also receive the following:
- An A4 ITSSAR approved straddle truck certificate of basic training*
- A plastic photo identification card*
- A written assessment of strengths and weaknesses*
Additionally, operators are entered or edited on to ITSSAR’s TOPS (Trained Operator Passport Scheme) database for future reference.
*There is no additional charge for these
No wonder our clients keep coming back
Feedback from our trainees
"Clear and concise. Engaging."
RF, Liphook, Hampshire
"A good mixture of theory and practical."
RS, Hardley, Hampshire
"Everything was really helpful."
CS, Fareham, Hampshire
Health & Safety Executive's Approved Code of Practice - Rider-Operated Lift Trucks
Obligation to provide basic training - Employers should not allow anyone to operate, even on a very occasional basis a lift truck until they have satisfactorily completed basic training and testing